Location: South Sudan
Closing date: 02 Dec 2016
RESPONSIBLE TO: Hospital Project Coordinator
STATUS: Full Time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: Junior medical doctors, clinical officers, medical assistants, others as assigned
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Medical Doctor Surgery specialist will be responsible for the clinical care and managerial oversight to deliver quality general surgery and trauma care in a referral hospital setting.
The medical doctor specialist will work under the supervision of the medical director. The position will be based in Aweil State Hospital.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
· Provide specialized care to patients receiving care in the hospital.
· Consult on complex/complicated cases and provide appropriate treatment forgeneral surgery and trauma care.
· Conduct routine ward consultations, as necessary and prescription of drugs according to MOH guidelines
· Ensure functionality of the operating theater, including adherence to surgicalprotocols, and ensuring availability of necessary supplies and maintenance and/or repair of equipment.
· Implement continuous quality improvement of general surgery and trauma carethrough:
· Supportive supervision of clinical staff
· Developing and implementing schedule of regular clinical skills updates and continuous medical education
· Ensuring availability and comprehension of, and adherence to, South Sudan treatment protocols
· Conduct routine maternal death audits and ensure procedures are in place for reporting and prompt investigation of accidents, near misses, and adverse events
· Ensure good patient flow and consultations of the medical departments
· Ensure consistent readiness, responsiveness and quality of general surgery andtrauma care at the hospital
· Provide leadership to the medical team across departments, including support services critical for specialized care (laboratory, pharmacy, etc).
· Conducting routine performance reviews of clinical staff
· Organize and lead routine staff activities schedule, including daily rounds and weekly clinical staff meetings
· Ensure adherence to high standards in infection prevention, including adherence to universal precautions by all staff, proper equipment sterilization, as well as guidelines for and adherence to waste segregation and proper disposal,
· Participate in the hospital committee meetings as requested.
· Perform any other duty assigned by line manager
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
· Medical Doctor degree from a recognized institution
· Master’s degree in general and trauma surgery
· Clinical skills and demonstrated technical expertise in general surgery and trauma care.
· At least three years management experience in a rural hospital setting, including experience supervising and mentoring clinical staff in a resource poor setting
· Experience in people management skills leading a team
· Strong coordination skills with proven ability to work across multiple technical areas simultaneously, supporting and mentoring multiple staff members
· Experience in analytical and conceptual skills in program management, project planning, report writing, organizational and interpersonal skills
· Experience in the administration of health management information systems, preferred.
· Excellent communication skills – English written and spoken
· Strong interpersonal skills, creativity, flexibility, adaptability and empathy
· Previous relevant experience in Africa – South Sudan highly valued
· Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment
· Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, Email, etc)
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
· Knowledge of and experience in working with and coordinating with international and national partner organizations
· Highly motivated hands-on self-starter, ability to work independently and has ability to incorporate and open to constructive feedback
· Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities
· Flexibility and willingness to adjust to changing responsibilities or needs as they arise
· Willingness to frequently travel and live in remote and security difficult situation
· Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
· Cultural and gender sensitivity essential
American Refugee Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. American Refugee Committee complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Click here to apply- https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=ok9a3fwq&s=ReliefWeb